Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Why am I doing this?

A question my wife has asked me...I'm not sure of the answer exactly. Why blog?

Is it just a diary that others can read? I never really had a diary. Somehow a log of events in my life that no one would read except me seemed like wasted effort. I'm a person who loathes a treadmill-type exercise because it seems so useless and turned-in on the self. I realize it may be necessary at times, but I always wanted my "exercise" to accomplish something beyond just keeping me fit. I wanted to create beautiful art with my exercise, and so I did ballet for a while, until it became too expensive and I got too old and fat. But even if I did it on my own without taking a class, I felt part of a community somehow, participating in an ancient discipline, something larger than myself. At the very least, I wanted my exercise to accomplish some task, like cleaning the yard or chopping wood.

So also I could never justify the time to write down my thoughts just to keep them locked away in a drawer. At least here someone has the possibility of reading my random thoughts. And I couldn't believe the charge I got out of people responding to my ramblings.

My 16-year-old son asked me something the other day and to save time I told him to read my blog on the subject. He declined, saying only 3 or 4 people read my blog and he didn't want to be the fifth. Ha Ha.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Geometricus: I can't answer for your reasons but perhaps mine will help you discern yours.

I decided to blog because I felt, as a former dissident Catholic, I may have something to say that would help someone in a similar situation back to the Truth.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Ha! I'll be the fifth, and your son can be the sixth.

I find that writing out my thoughts helps me to solidify and defend them better. Hence the blog. But, like you I too struggle with getting too high-fallutin' and end up not posting often. I'm trying to remedy that.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

I think all bloggers are motivated by something different.

Cathy and I may have similar motivations, but not quite. A friend of mine actually encouraged me to start one, but I was quite hesitant; what could I possibly have to say?

Turns out...a lot. I realized that part of my reversion was the stories' of others, their struggles, their lessons, their experience. And that's a special kind of evangelization; the kind that works.

I am not always motivated to post, so I simply don't, and wait for the inspiration to come. And even if I have only a nugget of an idea, I'm amazed as it expands into one of my trademark long posts.

And I'm even more amazed that people actually read and comment, and more amazed still if someone sends me an e-mail to tell me how a certain post helped them somewhere in their spiritual life.

And all I can say is...thank you, Jesus.

And when this stops being fruitful, then it will have to go away into oblivion.

But your motives may clearly be different. I do think you can set your blog to your own personal view only, and my thought is that if you don't want to do that, then you must have something to say.

So go ahead and say it!

Am I reader number...what? I've lost count.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, if Adoro is Seventh, I must be Eighth!

You don't have to have the intention of baring your soul when you begin to blog.

My intention was to provide a forum for Catholics interested in what is happing in the local church in terms of news and events and continuing education.

And occasionally, I am inspired enough to reveal a bit about myself.

You might use as the basis for your blog the "Music of the Spheres", for example, explaining for us how geometry can be spiritual.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home